Dog Blog

Introducing our new formula!

Posted by Dave Middlesworth on March 31, 2012 47 Comments

Our new V-dog formula has no wheat, corn, soy, GMO or gluten and packs in 24% protein! Loaded with super foods, the new V-dog formula contains the perfect balance of essential amino acids, vitamins and minerals your dog needs to thrive. It took over two years to develop our new 100% plant-based formula. Pooch tested and planet approved, we are confident that our great new V-dog is one of the healthiest dog food formulas on the market and that your dog will woof it down!

Comments (47 Comments)

Both of our senior rescues love both your food and breathbones. Hope to see more products in the future. Small. Treats for taking on walks would be great! We have told many people about your great products.

Posted by Rachel Fishbein on May 07, 2013

My dog like this food but after researching there is an ingredient that I would Love you to explain me why is in the formula and is the fake vitamin K… hear can be bad for some dogs, and how necessary is this since other comercial food do not have it, could V-Dog do without it?? please explain

Posted by Dinora Hedberg on May 05, 2013

We just received our 30 lb. bag of V-Dog this week and our family of dogs… large and small… LOVED IT! We mixed it with the older food to make sure it was an easy transition and one of the larger dogs picked out all of the older food and left it beside her dish. Thank you for making a dog food that we can feel good about feeding our six dogs.

Posted by Jennifer on April 20, 2013

From where do you derive your taurine?

Posted by Catherine on March 11, 2013

I would love it if you could offer an all stages dog food as I have to keep feeding my boy a meat based food until he is 6 months old. Boo.

Posted by Deanna Dotson on March 08, 2013

Dear valued V-Dog customers, thank you for your continued support and positive blog messages! We are very excited about the amazing feedback we are getting from all of our V-Dog pooches! To answer a few of the blog questions:

1. Shipping is usually 2-3 business days from the day you order. (Canada add one week). If concerned please call our 888# and we can confirm your ship date.

2. V-Dog food is a complete, balanced adult dog food formula that requires no supplementaion. But we encourage our customers to continue to add fresh fruits and veggies whenever possible, our pooches enjoy the variety just as we do!

V-Dog

Posted by V-Dog on November 27, 2012

Hello,

I am anxious to try V-Dog, but was wondering if I will need a supplement for my two rescues (one 4 1/2 year old mid-size mutt, one small chihuahua mix puppy).

Thank you!

Posted by marissa on November 18, 2012

My dogs love your kibble. Where do you ship from? My order shipped today and I’m running out of food, so wondering when it will arrive.
Thanks.

Posted by Maureen Edwards on November 12, 2012

FINALLY…..a vegan dog food that my 10 year old adopted retired racing greyhound can tolerate! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
I’ve tried to get her off animal products in the past, but she ALWAYS got loose stools from day one, even with just a quarter of a cup (of every other vegetarian/vegan dog food on the market) added to her one cup portions of lamb meal and rice diet, three times a day.
You can’t begin to know how pleased I was to get my grey through the transition period without any problems.
And…..for my adopted rescued hairy-hairless Chinese Crested, it has cleared up her blackheads and oily skin condition that seems to plague that breed.

Posted by Diane Gray on November 10, 2012

Greetings! I have a large breed dog and am curious if your formula is sufficient for all breeds? He is also a rescue dog and needs a smaller kibble as he has very limited jaw range.
Thanks so much!

Posted by Margo Mason on October 18, 2012

Two “kids.” A 12 year old llasa/terrior mix and an 8 year old bischon. Their parents are recent vegetarians, and sought a better food for them than the commercial grocery store product.

Picked up samples at the Portland (OR) NW VegFest. To our delight and surprise, both pups liked the product immediately; including our older girl who is notoriously picky. Placed our first order tonight for their new “dinner.” Thanks for what appears to be a great product!

Posted by michael johnson on September 23, 2012

To answer the question about kibble size, the kibble looks average size to me . However, my 3.5 lb Chihuahua doesn’t have any problems eating this dog food. It’s crunchy but not difficult for her tiny teeth to break down. She is very picky eater – we rescued her two years ago and tried several brands of store brand food before finding one she liked. I was hesitant to pay so much for the v-dog food since she is so picky but fortunately she likes it just as well as her old food!

Posted by Lisa on September 16, 2012

Can I get his at a pet store. I live in nyc. Downtown Brooklyn.

Posted by Francesca on September 05, 2012

We have had both the old and new formula of V-dog and my dog does likes the new one much better. I also love the fact it is so easy to order the only problem is there is no package tracking, making me always wonder if it will arrive or if I have to make another order from a different company to get my baby fed.
I really hope this problem gets addressed, after reading the comments it seems to be a problem for more then a few.

Posted by Kristine on September 04, 2012

My 3 year old Shiba Inu was never a big eater, but she’s eaten more of this food regularly than any other premium meat-based food in her life. (We’ve tried evo, addiction holistic kangaroo & apple, and freshpet)

Thank you! We’ll continue to buy V-Dog.

We’d like it if you could develop some vegan chews or other treats!

Posted by Evan on July 22, 2012

I too would like to see the answers to customers’ questions.

I would also like to order samples of your dry food. I have 4 dogs so I want to make sure they’ll eat your food before ordering bags of it.

Posted by Jane H. on July 20, 2012

My 4 year old mutt (and proud of it) has always been picky when it comes to kibble even when I switched to meat as the first ingredient. After seeing your ad in VegNews I decided it was time to make the switch since I went vegan about 3 years ago. He started wagging his tale at the first scent from the box left on our porch by the delivery people. As soon as I served it to him he gobbled it up. Thank you for making a cruelty free dog food that my dog will finally get excited about. One comment: I’ve seen some good questions posed here to the company but don’t see any answers.

Posted by Sally on July 11, 2012

Cats are NOT obligate carnivores. What once was true, no longer is. Just like that whole “the earth is flat” thing! Cats do require taurine which can be found in animal products, but can also be found as a supplement or powder at many natural food stores.
Read up on veganism in cats, anyone who is looking to go that route. Be an educated consumer and parent :)

Posted by Cori on July 10, 2012

I’m a bit late in noticing that you changed your formula, but so excited that you did! One of my dogs couldn’t tolerate the old formula, so I’ll be ordering a bag soon.

I hope that you come out with an organic version soon- I’d be willing to pay more for it because it’s worth it!

Posted by Molly on July 08, 2012

Hi there, I’ve got over 250 rescued dogs at my sanctuary in Philipines, many from the dog meat trade. we feed them a 75% veggetarian dry food at the moment – I’m Vegan and very interested to try to feed the dogs 100% plant based diet, this should reduce feed costs & enable us to rescue more dogs. my main concern is that the dogs get all the essential ingrediants – do V-dog have a ‘essential ingredient’ pack with amino acids, vitamins, minerals etc, that we can add to our own veggie cooked meals please. any advice will be most helpful thanks – Dog Bless x

Posted by john on June 25, 2012

First, Jennifer – Cats are obligate carnivores. They HAVE to have meat.

Second, is there a wet food or treats coming!? My dog Toby has food allergies and terrible flea allergies. He’s been on Hill’s ZD Ultra for a few months now and although he’s less itchy, I can tell he’s been unhappy in other ways and had even stopped being excited about dinner. Well my friend had a similar problem with her dog and had just bought some of this to try for him. She offered me a sample and I tried it out. Toby isn’t itching, his eyes aren’t watering (his tell tale sign of a reaction), and he seems more energetic, just after 2 feedings! I’m excited to buy a bag and see if this will make my baby happier.

Posted by Sonja on June 11, 2012

How big is the kibble size? I have a 5# chihuahua with a tiny little mouth. Does your company have samples that can be mailed. Thank you!

Posted by Kelly on June 10, 2012

We tested the product, the kids loved it, and now they are eating full time. One of the kids (12 years old) had a horrible situation, where the vet left her on a heating pad that was too hot during surgery and burned her back with 3 degree burns. She had to have her whole back, surgically removed and her side skin pulled up and reattached, to cover her back. Everything that I read, stated in all rights, she wouldn’t live, due to the high percentage of body that was burnt, her age and infection. She has several surgeries, and now is doing great. I truly believe she survived the ordeal, because of the incredible vegan diet that she is on and having a very knowledgeable surgeon. In my opinion, this is the best vegan dog food, available. I am very thankful for it.

Posted by woodsie8 on June 08, 2012

I have been fostering dogs for several months now and have always tried to keep the pups on the best dogfood I could find.. coming from the pound, the dogs I got always came in having diarrhea, dull coats, and itchy skin.. I had been giving them a meat based dry food, but having just changed over to a vegan diet myself, I started to feel bad about what I was buying into and what I was feeding my friends. I began looking into vegan dogfood options and found a few vegan formulas, but the quality just wasn’t there – and if I was going to change their diet, it better be up to par or better than what I was already feeding them… enter: Vdog! My dogs (a Vizsla, a Plott Hound mix, and my most recent foster, a Pittie) ALL love this dog food. I love that the most common allergens have been removed, and all of my babies coats are looking great. Their energy levels have sky-rocketed and I just couldn’t be happier. Thank you for making this wonderful dogfood and for taking a positive step forward in introducing a new way to feed our dogs (cruelty-free!!) I have been spreading the word, and although most people look at me like I have 3 heads when I tell them my dogs are vegan, I know it at least gets the wheels turning. :) Thanks again! You guys rock.

Posted by Amanda on May 31, 2012

I love your new formula, and more importantly, my dog loves it, but you are the only online “store” at which I shop (I shop at many) that doesn’t provide a tracking number. I need to be here for FedEx to enter the front gate, and not knowing the delivery date makes that very inconvenient. I’m with “Gids”, who commented on 5/17/12, wishing you would provide order tracking.

Posted by Steve on May 23, 2012