July 15, 2020
It's our 15th birthday here at v-dog! What better way to celebrate 15 years of vegan dogs than by making your pup their very own plant-powered pupcake? YUM!
[Recipe by Renee Carnegie]
I love sweets - but does my dog? I wanted to make him something special for his birthday but I’ll be honest, I don't think he’s interested in a sweet cake. I've tried making him treats with banana and peanut butter, and he will eat them - but I think he’s more of a savory kind of guy, a salty dog if you will.
So I wanted to try a savory “pupcake” treat that might be more up his alley!
I pulled some easy, healthy ingredients together to create these lip-smacking pupcakes. I think your pup will love them too!
Savory Vegan Birthday Pupcakes
Yields 12 pupcakes
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 can roasted tomato
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds, lightly blended
- 2 Tbsp ground flax + 6 Tbsp water
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- Optional: ¼ cup coconut oil or ¼ cup tahini
- ½ cup cashews (soaked overnight or in hot water for at least 1 hour)
- 3 Tbsp water
1. Combine ingredients in a bowl and scoop into a muffin tin or a cake tin. Bake at 350° for 40 mins.
Human tip: If you want to make a smaller amount for your pup and the rest for you, scoop 4 cupcakes for your dog, then add to the remaining mixture:
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon bouillon
- Ketchup to top
2. Blend frosting ingredients until smooth.
3. Take 2 of your savory pupcakes and once cooled add your savory frosting, assemble one on top of the other. Sprinkle with hemp hearts or top with a baby carrot. Tell your critter you love them and they can finally eat off a plate (this time)!
Did you make this recipe? We want to see your creations! Tag us on Instagram @vdogfood.
V-dog is celebrating 15 years of business! Since 2005, we've seen pups of all shapes and sizes benefit from our plant-powered nutrition. Check out some of their incredible stories here, and learn more about the benefits of a vegan diet for dogs here.